Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Progress+ Relearning The Subtle Art of Suffering

(Daily) Bread Miles 

A steady diet of miles have been fed into the legs up to this point in the year. Nothing in crazy volume like years prior and more consistent and well-intentioned miles (25hr+ training weeks are things of the past...). My body feels the most capable it has in over a year and less wrecked than the past years. Sinewy and goat-like, dense yet light. When I decompressed from that 2014 season I resolved to be in the place I am now by this time-- boom, goals are sweet.  It's a spartan calendar these past two years but in a way it's a great method to consider how I want to define myself as an athlete and "career man" (versus that of a "breeder" and homesteader).

Helping my motivation is my 2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert. Murdered-out black, light, and stiffer than my 2009 TCR by a landslide. This steed climbs incredibly well, thanks in part by the sub-compact crankset with shorter cranks, and descends like it's on a rail. It's a fun and punchy ride. Never thought I would ride 152.5mm cranks but I've noticed it improve my stroke considerably. Sticking with Speedplay pedals since they've been so good to me and my buggy knees. The boys down at Old Town Bike did me good.



The training volume continues to increase and my interval sessions are getting more focused and serious. Whereas the last three months have been about feeling a little more "worked over" after my 'push efforts', I'm prepping the body for the shit-for-muscle-tomorrow leg searing intervals that bring gobs of speed. Timing is everything with this work and I'm certainly no pro at it so the plan I laid forth for the next few months is careful to avoid burning matches too early in the year. We're calling this a "transitional year" for me after all and the blocks of training load aren't without some shifting. Rigidity isn't without doom.

Helping this transition to higher intensities has been the reconnaissance of some stellar sections of road within 40 miles of my place that fit both distance, gradient, and road conditions. Convenient and easily fit into a long ride.

Evening rides in the Littlerock realm are awesome 

The Subtle Art of Suffering

To be great at anything, whether Sport or elsewhere in life, it's only proper that one learn how to suffer through some great discomfort. With sport this presents easily and early as it is truly one of the only honest measures of ourselves in Life-- but is it really that easy? There's wisdom to learn along the way. I've considered in the past how I suffered through one workout or another that should have never been done (10x1000m in 2min30sec on the track off the back of a 20 mile long run is a workout that still makes me cringe at how my achilles felt the next day). Examining my motivations to go deep out on the road they have extended beyond simple Boyhood enthusiasm. All the while adult life tries to keep me from what I once held as my temple and Sabbath.

To feel like reaching something greater within yourself requires a level of narcissism that others may never come to understand. You can push loved ones or strain friendships over this quest to feel faster. They will suffer, mostly without complaint, only hoping their sacrifices don't go unnoticed. It's not a lightbulb moment when you see this either, it's subtle. In many respects those that don't want your shit will get out of the way-- fuck the haters. Those that remain are the diamonds. The polished of those diamonds will recognize the subtly of your suffering and subsequent gratitude fornletting you explore the depths of these experiences.

Motivation in rain? Try coffee! Photo: Ted King

We can get it wrong more times than we get it right-- but when it all comes together, and you feel truly satisfied with your race, it's next to nothing. Years past I felt I had this nailed but it spiraled out of control and now a bit older and wiser I'm amazing how naive I had been. Like all the best lessons in life this was not clearly defined.

indeed, Subtle.


P.


Catching some R&R on the OR coast is awesome and needed! 






No comments:

Post a Comment