Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The stories our feet can tell


I have some pretty gnarly feet. They are strong, but certainly not pretty. I can look at my feet and think of past victories, podiums, bruises, ice baths, bursitis, ruptured tendons, broken toe bones, stress fractures, weird-ass warts, and how much Adidas shoes destroy my feet. It is undeniable there is this loose celebration for endurance athletes in the tissue breakdown and regrowth in our feet. Our feet take us to the very limits of our known abilities-- the one honest measure and true test of self, after all, is Sport. 

Our feet move us towards our goals and a deep sense of satisfaction that can last for years following. They can push us to drive people, including loved ones, out of our lives while we pursue these goals-- It is my hope that endeavors of our feet will somehow convey to these special people (or not-so-special) that when we make the choice stand next to them that they know it was a decision not easily reached. Think of the feet that have inspired thousands of other feet.

I don't think a lot of people recognize that their feet are capable of amazing things. Many find them gross (which I've always found a bit childish) or make a point to care more for their lazy comfort than relish the garish potential for black toe nails and blisters. Feet are biblical; they are symbolic of effort and struggle.

My feet are the only thing I know to stand on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment